Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Businessweek: East Village web startup, Foursquare, to reach 1 millionth user

On Apr. 21, Foursquare expected to sign up the millionth user of its location-based software, which lets fans check in at bars, restaurants, coffee shops, and train stations, competing for the free meals and other perks merchants dole out to virtual "mayors" in the game who frequent their establishments the most.

Foursquare takes advantage of the GPS chips inside smartphones to let users broadcast where they are and find out where other users are congregating. "I live in the East Village, which has so much rich history and so much to do, and I realized that I'd seen maybe 5% of it," Selvadurai says. "I was looking for a way to get my and friends to go out and do more things."

Posted via web from East Village Feed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails